More and more people are turning to juicing as a way of life because of the numerous health benefits it offers:
• It reduces your intake of calories
• It provides you with vital nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, enzymes and antioxidants
• It’s a convenient way to increase intake of plant foods
Juicing is also tasty, convenient and a fantastic way for many of us who dislike eating whole fruits and vegetables to get more of these into our diet.
Typical ingredients used in juicing are:
These are great, and all of these fruits and vegetables work wonders for your body, but one essential juicing food that you may be missing is wheatgrass.
What Is Wheatgrass?
Wheatgrass is the young grass of the wheat plant. It is a tasty superfood that is becoming more and more popular in diets around the globe.
It’s gluten-free, rich in amino acids, and has been consumed by cultures as far back as the ancient Egyptians who knew how awesome it was for their health.
You can grow it indoors or outdoors, buy it from specialized health food stores, or get it from your local supermarket if you’re lucky.
Wheatgrass is a superfood because it comes loaded with nutritional content.
Wheatgrass is rich in:
• Vitamin A
• Vitamin C
• Vitamin E
• It is also rich in protein and confers numerous health benefits to those who consume it.
Wheatgrass is also fantastic for juicing because it tastes intense and adds a bite and a kick to your green juices. Moreover, green juicing itself is the best type of juicing by far, if you’re looking to juice for pure health benefits alone, because greens pack more of a nutritional punch.
Furthermore, very few people will actually admit that they eat raw wheatgrass by itself. This is because finding a way to introduce whole wheatgrass into your diet is not exactly easy and it tastes quite bitter. However, when you juice wheatgrass with other green vegetables, the problem is solved.
Health Benefits Of Wheatgrass
Wheatgrass comes with numerous health benefits, some of the best include:
• Wheatgrass contains high amounts of chlorophyll, amino acids, calcium, enzymes, vitamins A, C, E, K, B6, riboflavin, thiamin, 92 minerals, iron, zinc, copper, manganese, and selenium.
• 4 grams of wheatgrass contains 252mg or 1260% of the daily-recommended value of Niacin. Niacin or vitamin B3 is important for general good health. It is used in medicine as a treatment to improve high cholesterol levels and reduce risks for cardiovascular disease. According to WebMD, good evidence exists that niacin helps reduce atherosclerosis, or hardening of the heart arteries.
• Wheatgrass juice helps to calm your stomach.
• A Great Source of Antioxidants – Antioxidants are your body’s first line of defense against toxins that wreak havoc with your system.
• Oxygen – Wheatgrass juice boosts brain power as the high amounts of oxygen in chlorophyll oxygenate the brain providing an ideal environment in support of brain health.
• Among its box of tricks is its ability to improve the amount of oxygen in your blood, thereby boosting circulation.
• Wheatgrass is one of the best sources of living chlorophyll, containing 70%. Chlorophyll is an important blood builder, and stops the development and growth of bad bacteria.
• Chlorophyll is the first product of light and so it contains more light energy than any other food
• Wheatgrass juice contains all minerals known to man, along with vitamins A, B-complex, C, E, l and K
• A perfect protein that contains 17 amino acids, the building blocks of protein
• As an antibacterial, chlorophyll is a natural healer. Guinea pigs exposed to lethal radiation by the US army had a 50% lower mortality rate when fed chlorophyll-rich vegetables than those who ate a non-chlorophyll diet
• The chlorophyll in wheatgrass supports the liver in detoxing the body
• Wheatgrass juice supports healthy blood sugar levels and reduces spikes in blood sugar
• Complete nutrition food that sustains life in both the human and animal kingdoms
• A quick energy source ideal to fuel even the toughest workouts